The Kolarctic Cross-Border Cooperation 2014–2020 Programme complements national crossborder activities by focusing on cooperation between the European Union Member States (Finland and Sweden) and Norway and Russia.
The overall aim of the Kolarctic Programme is to promote a viable economy and attractiveness of the region, where inhabitants and visitors come to enjoy the arctic nature and where natural resources are used in a sustainable way.
In order to achieve the overall aim, the programme is divided into two priority axes that recognize regional strengths and problems. These priority axes are:
- Viability of arctic economy, nature and environment
- Fluent mobility of people, goods and knowledge
The Programme will contribute to the needs of the Programme area identified in the priority axes by supporting projects under the following thematic objectives:
- Business and SME development.
- Environmental protection, climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Improvement of accessibility to the regions, development of sustainable and climate-proof transport and communication networks and systems.
- Promotion of border management and border security, mobility and migration management.
The Programme is co-financed by the EU, Finland, Norway, the Russian Federation and Sweden.
In June 2015 the Programme document has been submitted to the European Commission for approval, and it is ecpected that the programme would open in 2016.